Allen and Ford earn Big 5 honors
Brittany Ford of Saint Joseph's is the Big 5 Women's Player of the Week.
Jan. 11, 2010
Men's Player of the Week
The Philadelphia Big 5 honored Lavoy Allen (Jr., F) of Temple with the Big 5 Men's Player of the Week award. Allen averaged 18 points, 11.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 1.5 blocks per game while shooting 59.3% from the field. He scored a game and season high 20 points and grabbed a game high 11 rebounds as the Owls defeated Saint Joseph's 73-46. He also posted his fifth double-double of the season with 16 points and 12 rebounds as Temple pushed past Rhode Island for a 68-64 victory. He is on pace to become the first Temple player to average a double-double since Ollie Johnson accomplished the feat in 1970-71.
• Rodney Green (Sr., G) of La Salle averaged 18.5 points, 8.0 assists, and 5.5 rebounds per game as the Explorers went 1-1 on the week. He put up 17 points and a career-high 12 assists as La Salle defeated UMass 80-74 on Sunday. He also tallied 20 points and five rebounds in their 68-62 loss to Xavier.
• Zack Rosen (So., G) of Penn totaled 28 points, three boards, and two steals as the Quakers secured their first win of the season, an 82-71 victory over UMBC on Wednesday He shot 8- for-12 from the field, went 4-for-7 from beyond the arch, and sank a perfect 8-for-8 from the foul line. Rosen has scored in double figures for nine straight games, totaling approximately 19.0 points per game.
• Todd O'Brien (So., C) of Saint Joseph's racked up 20 points and 12 rebounds as the Hawks defeated Fordham 82-69. He sank 7-of-9 from the field and went a perfect 6-for-6 from the free throw line. He also added on four blocks, two assists, and two steals.
• Scottie Reynolds (Sr., G) of Villanova averaged 18 points per game as the Wildcats went 2-0 on the week. He put up 21 points and grabbed two steals, two assists, and a board in Villanova's 99-72 victory over DePaul on Wednesday while shooting 8-for-13 from the field. He also tallied 15 points as the Wildcats edged past Marquette 78-76 on Saturday.
Women's Player of the Week
Saint Joseph's Brittany Ford (Sr., F) was awarded Player of the Week on the women's side. Ford racked up a team-high 18 points and eight rebounds as the Hawks defeated Fordham 62-57. She sank 6-of-9 from the field and went 6-for-8 from the foul line. She went 4-for-4 from the field in the second half, putting up 14 of her points in the final 20 minutes.
• Kristen McCarthy (So., F) of Temple tallied a career-high 28 points in the Owls' loss to Xavier on Sunday. She added three steals, two assists, and two boards while shooting 11-for 17 from the field and 5-of-6 from beyond the arch.