Allen and Sweeney named Big 5 weekly award winners
November 30, 2009
Men’s Player of the Week
The Philadelphia Big 5 honored Lavoy Allen (Jr., F) of Temple with the Big 5 Men’s Player of the Week award. Allen tallied 16 points, nine rebounds, and a career-high seven assists in the Owls’ 66-46 win over Ball State on Tuesday. As a part of Friday’s Philly Hoop Group Classic Tournament, he made eight of nine shots and racked up a total 18 points, 10 rebounds, and four assists as Temple defeated Virginia Tech at the Palestra. Allen led the Owls to a 2-1 week with an average 14.3 points and 7.7 rebounds per game, while shooting 59 percent from the field.
• Mike Howlett (So., F) of Penn tallied 10 points and 13 rebounds, securing him his second double-double in as many games in the Quakers’ 58-49 loss to Drexel on Tuesday.
• Corey Fisher (Jr., G) helped Villanova to an 81-63 win over La Salle on Saturday, their 20th in the last 21 outings against Big Five opponents. Fisher scored 13 points, while also tallying four assists and a career-high six steals.
• Jerrell Williams (Jr., F) of La Salle totaled 15 points and 16 rebounds in the Explorers’ loss to Villanova on Saturday. The 16 board performance gave him most rebounds by an Explorer since Rasual Butler had 20 in the 2002-2003 season. He made 9-of-19 at the free throw line, leaving him two attempts short of a La Salle program record.
• Aaric Murray (Fr., C) of La Salle grabbed a career-high 14 rebounds against Villanova on Saturday, the most by an Explorer freshman since Jerrell Williams had 15 in the 2007-2008
Women’s Player of the Week
Villanova’s Laura Sweeney (Rf., F) was awarded Player of the Week on the women’s side. Sweeney was named MVP of the Tennessee Chattanooga Doubletree Thanksgiving Tournament, where the Wildcats went on to defeat Tennessee Chattanooga 64-59 in the championship game of the tournament. She racked up a game-high 14 points along with seven rebounds against Evansville on Friday to open the tournament. Villanova improved to 5-1 on the season with a 2-0 week where Sweeney averaged 13 points and seven rebounds per game. Sweeney shot 71 percent from the field and added two steals and a block for the week. Her performance led the Wildcats to win their eighth of the last 11 Thanksgiving Tournaments participated in.
• Sarah Bucar (Sr., G) of Penn was named to the all-tournament team in Chicago after putting up an average 7.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.0 steals, and 1.5 assists and playing in all but two minutes of the tournament.
• Kelly Cavallo (So., F) of Saint Joseph’s earned her first career double-double, while gaining a career-high 10 points and 11 rebounds, leading her to achieve FIU Thanksgiving Classic All-Tournament Team honors.
• Jasmine Stone (Sr., F) of Temple averaged a double-double of 11 points and 11 rebounds in the Owls’ two games this week. She shot 57 percent from the field and racked up three blocks and one steal on the week.