Duren, Sweeney named big 5 players of the week
November 26, 2012
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - Tyreek Duren of La Salle and Laura Sweeney of Villanova were named the Philadelphia Big 5 Men's and Women's Basketball Players of the Week, respectively, for their outstanding performances.
Duren averaged 19 points and 3.5 assists in a 2-0 week for the Explorers that included an overtime Big 5 victory over Villanova. Against the Wildcats, Duren scored 19 of his 23 points in the second half or overtime and hit the game-tying 3-pointer with seven seconds left in regulation to force OT. Earlier in the week against Hartford, he had a team-high 15 points and made 7-of-9 free throws.
Sweeney helped the Wildcats win the UNLV Lady Rebel Round-Up in Las Vegas and was named Tournament MVP. She had 16 points, 11 rebounds, four steals and four blocks in an opening-round win over Bowling Green. Sweeney followed that up with 12 points and six rebounds in the title game against Montana.
Men’s Honor Roll
- Fran Dougherty (Jr. F) of Penn had 20 points, eight rebounds, and three blocks in a narrow loss to Fordham. That was the fourth straight game Dougherty netted at least 20 points. He notched a double-double the next night (17 points and 10 rebounds) against Lehigh.
- Khalif Wyatt (Sr. G) of Temple tied for team-high honors with 18 points in the Owls 80-75 win over Delaware. He also dished out a game-high seven assists.
- Carl Jones (Sr. G) of Saint Joseph’s scored a game-high 24 points off the bench to lead the Hawks over Harvard. He had 18 first-half points and made 8-of-11 field goals including four 3-pointers.
Women’s Honor Roll
- Tyonna Williams (So. G) of Temple led the Owls with 15 points in a loss to Rutgers. She tied for game-high honors with four assists and hit 3-of-7 treys.
- Ashley Prim (Sr. G) of Villanova posted a career-high 19 points on 7-of-10 shooting in a win over Hofstra. She hit a career-best five 3-pointers to go along with four steals, four assists, and two rebounds. In a setback to Syracuse, Prim had seven boards, three steals, and four assists.
- Brittany Wilson (Sr. G) of La Salle averaged 17.5 points, 7 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game in a 1-1 week. She had a game-high 21 points, including the game-winning 3-pointer with seven seconds left, and added 11 rebounds in a one-point win over Lehigh. She also scored 14 points in a setback to #25 North Carolina.