Villanova sweeps Big 5 honors again
Scottie Reynolds had 23 points in Villanova's win over Marquette.
Jan. 4, 2010
Men's Player of the Week
The Philadelphia Big 5 honored Scottie Reynolds (Sr., G) of Villanova with the Big 5 Men's Player of the Week award. Reynolds totaled 23 points and scored the game winning shot as the Wildcats defeated Marquette 74-72 on Saturday.
• Ryan Brooks (Sr., G) of Temple averaged 16.3 points and 6.3 rebounds while adding on four assists per game as the Owls went 2-1 on the week, defeating Bowling Green and Northern Illinois but falling to #1 Kansas.
• Rodney Green (Sr., G) of La Salle averaged 19.5 points, 6.5 boards, 4.5 assists, and 3 steals per game, while shooting 15-38 from the field as the Explorers completed a 0-2 week.
• Carl Jones (Fr., G) of Saint Joseph's racked up 17 points, five rebounds, and three assists in the Hawks' loss to Princeton on Saturday.
• Zack Rosen (So., G) of Penn tallied 54 points on the week, scoring 14 in Penn's loss to Davidson, 10 against Duke, and a career-high 30 as the Quakers fell to Lafayette on Sunday. Rosen made 7-of-18 from the field and 6-for-12 from behind the arc, the most three-pointers scored by a Quaker since Ibrahim Jaaber.
• Maalik Wayns (Fr., G) of Villanova tied a season high with 16 points off the bench, shooting 5-8 from the field, in a Big East win on the road at Marquette.
Women's Player of the Week
Villanova's Laura Sweeney (Rf., F) was awarded Player of the Week on the women's side. Sweeney averaged 15.5 points, seven rebounds, 1.5 assists, and 1 block per game, leading the Wildcats to a 2-0 week and earning herself the MVP award of the Wildcat Classic.
• Jamie Walsh (Sr., G) of La Salle averaged 13.3 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 3.3 assists per game as the Explorers completed a 2-1 week. She racked up 18 points and shot 7-for-11 from the field in the 67-51 La Salle victory over Penn on Saturday.
• Ashley Prim (Fr., G) of Saint Joseph's averaged 10 points, 5.7 boards, 2.3 assists, and 1.3 steals per game as the Hawks won 2 out of 3 on the week. She was named MVP of the Hawk Classic after tallying 18 points, 11 rebounds, and four assists in the championship game.
• Kristen McCarthy (So., F) of Temple averaged 14 points and 8.3 rebounds per game as the Owls went 1-2 on the week, defeating Akron and losing to two top-12 teams. She tallied 16 points against #8/9 Duke and tied both of her career-highs of 19 points and 11 rebounds against #12/11 Florida State. She also racked up seven steals, three blocks, and a total seven three- pointers on the week.
• Jerin Smith (Jr., F) of Penn scored her first career double-double with a career-high 12 rebounds and 11 points in just 29 minutes of action as the Quakers secured their first win of the season, defeating St. Francis (N.Y.) 52-48. She also racked up six rebounds and five points against Mount Saint Mary's and seven points and six rebounds in Penn's loss to La Salle on Saturday.